|Geographic coverage||Jhule, Hawa & Mirge VDCs of Dolakha District|
|Project duration||November 2013 to June 2016|
|Funding partner/s||Austrian Catholic Women's Movement (KFB)|
|Target groups||Direct HH: 400, Direct Population: 2000, Adolescent Girls: 600/ Indirect HH: 1145, Indirect Population: 5950|
Rural Reconstruction Nepal (RRN) is implementing the project entitled "Improving Reproductive Health and Nutrition for Women's empowerment in Rural Nepal" with the financial support of Austrian Catholic Women's Movement (KFB). The project focuses on the rural women and rural adolescent girl's problems related to reproductive health and nutrition. This project aimed for raising awareness among the rural women and rural adolescent girl about reproductive health, rights and nutrition and it has shown very impressive achievements toward its objectives and goals. The project is getting successful to set an example for awareness rising among rural women on women's reproductive health, rights and nutrition issues and achieving their health improvement.
The overall objective of the project is to create awareness on reproductive rights and nutrition of rural women and adolescent girls. The specific objectives are to:
- improve reproductive health status of rural women & adolescent girls,
- enhance health of women, children and marginalised people by promoting nutritious food and balanced diet, and
- strengthen the capacity of community health workers in delivering reproductive health services to the rural women and adolescent girls.
- Improved the reproductive health status of rural women & adolescent girls.
- Enhanced health of women, children and marginalised people by improved intake of nutritious food and balanced diet.
- Strengthened capacity of health post/outreach clinic and community health workers in delivering reproductive health services to the rural women and adolescent girls.
- In Jhule, Hawa and Mirge VDCs, there are 3, 2 and 2 Outreach Clinics (ORCs) respectively. In these ORCs, the ORC management committees were inactive before the intervention of the project. The committees were reformed with the support of the project and now, these ORCs committee held meeting regularly and plan for the smooth operation. The need of the ORC is high after the earthquake and with the support of RRN, these committees constructed ORCs, which were destroyed by the earthquake of 2015.
- The institutional delivery increased to 95% in Jhule VDC. Before the intervention of the project, the people were reluctant to go to the birthing centre. The reward package has lured them and has increased the number. Many organisations have something to offer to these groups and the percentage of delivery in health institution has risen after the earthquake.
- The 529 women of the different health mothers group were provided Nutrition Improvement and Balanced diet preparation training. The importance of local food and fruits has been highlighted in the training.
- 296 adolescent girls of Jhule, Hawa and Mirge VDCs learnt about sexual and reproductive health issues, different social problems, such as early marriage, lack of awareness and services on reproductive health, frequent childbearing and trafficking, school dropout, drug abuse, domestic violence, and abuses, including trafficking and prostitution, etc.
- Uterine Prolapsed among women who attended reproductive health training were identified and counselled to take immediate medical treatment from health institution. 230 women were informed about the issue in reproductive rights and birth preparedness plan training.
- Women participation in VDC budget planning has increased and Mother's groups are able to allocate 15% of the total budget for improving birthing centre on VDC council.
Impact on GESI and Environment
- Health mothers groups comprise all the women and the training are organised mobilising these health mother groups.
- Adolescent girl's dialogue centres are run by targeting the adolescent girls and have been providing education to these girls.
- There should be a proper plan considering risk, such as the April 2015 earthquake so that the project components are to be conducted on time.
- The contents for health facility management committee should focus on management and health related issues rather than reproductive health rights.
- Documentation of cost contribution by the community while conducting different training was difficult.