RRN/CWW Education Support for 47 Schools in Dolakha, Nepal
||Talmarang VDC in Sindhupalchowk district and Bhirkot, Chilankha, Gairimudi, Hawa, Japhe, Jhule, Laduk, Malu and Mirge VDCs and some parts of Jiri and Bhimeshwor Municipality in Dolakha district
|| July 2016 to December 2016
||€ 2,02,028 (NPR 2,25,22,081)
||Different earthquakes affected schools in selected 12 Wards of the district
After completion of the distribution of Non-Food Items (NFI) Kits, simultaneous to the Transitional Shelter Support Programme, RRN, in partnership with CWW implemented “RRN-CWW Education Support for 47 schools in Dolakha, Nepal”. The programme benefited 392 rooms in 64 schools. The education sector was one of the hardest hit sectors by the earthquake. Many schools remain closed for more than a month, mainly because of the incapability and unavailability of the resources in the rural areas. Most of the schools lack of financial capacity to rebuild the damaged structures. They lacked safe classrooms to run normal classes. Therefore, considering the needs, RRN and CWW agreed to support the education sector to revive from the tragic loss of lives and properties. The programme was implemented in close coordination with and recommendation from education cluster and approved by DDRC Dolakha.
- CGI Sheet, fibre sheet and required accessories for the roofs,
- Technical support for construction of temporary classrooms,
- Cash support for skill and unskilled labours for the construction of temporary classrooms,
- Education Materials: White-board, marker, marker ink, duster, etc.,
- Mats and carpets for sitting arrangements, educational and play materials for Early Childhood Development Centers (ECDs).
For each classroom, following set of materials and cash support were distributed:
- CGI Sheets x 4 bundles: Brand: Hulas; Quality: 120g/m² Zinc Coated; Dimension: 6’ x 2.5’GP thickness: 0.42 mm; 12 pieces per bundle.
- Fixing Accessories x 1: 2 kg x 3” Nails; 2 kg x 2.5” Cap Nails; 2 pkt. (100 pcs) x Bitumen Washer; 2 kg x GI Wire (14 gauge).
- Classroom support: 1 x Whiteboard (4’ x 6’); 10 x Board Marker; 1 x Refill ink for Board Marker (30 ml); 2 x Duster;
- Early Childhood Development Center Support: 1 x Flooring Carpet (15’ x 21’); 6 x Foam Mattress (24” x 72” x 3”); 1 x Education and play materials set (39 different educational and playing materials).
- The schools with the damaged infrastructure, particularly the classrooms replaced by temporary classrooms, using the CGI sheets, fibre sheets and accessories provided.
- Partial financial support made for construction of these temporary classrooms.
- Education and playing materials for the Early Childhood Development Centers made available to 35 schools in the project VDCs.
- Successful set-up of 10 prospective model schools in 10 different project VDCs.
- The support materials were considered very useful by the beneficiary schools. Especially the support for the Early Childhood Development Centers were well-received.
- It helped in reviving the severely disrupted education sector in the target VDCs.